Wednesday, September 10, 2008

GETTING STARTED

Well, for somebody who is on the downside of the hill (I mean, really, chances of me living to the ripe old age of 114 is not very realistic!!), I'm not sure this blogging world is boomer-oriented. My days can be quite routine up here on the farm (although I guess we've had our share of excitement with ice storms, blizzards, tornadoes, floods, fires, droughts....ummm, once a tree fell in on the house...and then there was the time that a huge branch fell through the windshield while Mike was driving on the mail route...and let's not forget the time a lady dressed like an apple showed up at the door...to cite a few blog-worthy stories). So yes, there will be times I will be able to share a laugh...a tear...a thought...a comment. But, not being a "techy", I'm quite intimidated with the artsiness of what I see out there.......maybe, with time, I will catch on??

I'm kind of a geriatric 'tweener...........a recent empty nester whose rocking chair is waiting in the not too distant future. It's kinda awkward to try to redefine oneself after pouring heart and soul into raising and homeschooling a family. 24/7 has evolved into about 2/7. A 30 year old degree means nothing in the new millenium....at least not in what I earned my degree...and rural America, although a great place to raise a family, does not lend itself easily to reenter the workforce. To me, to us (me and Mike), there was no more important work than tending to family; teaching success, integrity, morality, joy....all with a grateful heart to God. There is no job out there, for me, that can ever compare to that of being a mom...working hand-in-hand with God, the Master architect, from the moment of conception ...to build that brickless cathedral, a structure (soul) to house and honor Him. The challenge is overwhelming; the reward, if done well, is priceless. I will always be a mom, but the fact is, the bulk of my work is done there; the nest is empty. But I want to stress "the BULK"....because like my parents, I will always be there for my kids...advice, support, a shoulder, time, a sounding board...a free lunch...a fan...a prayer warrior...and hopefully yet an example...and when it comes right down to it, I'd give my life for them [someday I'll share the tornado story ...from :( to :)]. So, in the process of looking to the future and redefining myself, I'm finding a sturdy foundation in reflecting on the past. It's good for now.

And hence, the title of the blog........Bitts and Pieces. I love quilts. I grant such admiration to someone who can take tiny isolated snippets of fabric, piece them together in such a way to create a work of art....sometimes colors are subtle....sometimes they are bold. There are crazy quilts whose seemingly disjointed patterns still come together to make a cohesive unit. Sometimes life is like that... (city-slicker from Chicago ends up marrying a farmer). There are the patterned quilts whose pieces are more organized, but still made up of just small isolated pieces that fit precisely together... So goes life at times...(can you say "worked 8 years as a computer programmer"?). I really like the watercolor quilts....little pieces of fabric sewn together to move in a wavelike fashion, discreetly blending together without distinct definition...it's hard to tell where one piece ends and the other begins, but altogether it makes one beautiful canvas ....kinda like life for many... (have we been married for 28 years already??). The first quilt that really caught my eye was made by my sister-in-law's mother. She tore apart her father's ties and made a beautiful dresser scarf. It was gorgeous!! I was amazed at scraps transformed. My first quilt was less flashy. I made a denim quilt, using fabric from grandpa's bib overallls, mom's jeans, the boys jackets; there was denim in the quilt from something everyone in the family had once worn. I could identify just about every denim square...which conjures up memories of days past....hard-work for some...fun for others. I feel family when I snuggle in it.

Life for Joyce Bab-Bitt is a collage of Bits and Pieces of experience designed just for me by God....his perfect timing (although, I humbly admit that my faith has not been as strong as it should have been at times). I'm enthused by the concept of surrender to God's plan. It's not easy for a former control freak. He wants what is best, which is not always ovbvious to us at any one moment. Some of the smallest/simplest pieces and bits have made the greatest impact...and have drastically changed the course of what I thought my life would be. Let God. My quilt is still a work in progress, but hopefully, I will one day be the masterpiece God intended....and from time to time I may write about a little bit from the 'Bitts household that may interest you!!

I am so grateful for my life....the challenges...blessings...hardships...and graces. God, conform me to Your will.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Welcome to blogger! I am so excited to hear your "bitts and pieces"! I've been checking your blog every week and was really happy when I saw you had written! Thanks for being such an amazing role model to me of someone who follows God wherever He calls!

Ruth Ann said...

You are amazing, Joyce! I love you so much!!!tt